In 1856 the Second Freewill Baptist Church was founded by sixteen believers. A year later the church chose the corner of Main and Maple streets to build their meeting place. They built an original wooden structure, which was replaced in 1889 with a larger brick structure—which in turn had to be expanded as the church grew. A gym and educational wing was added in 1970.
The church became a member of the NYS Conservative Baptist Association. We are also a member of the National Association of Evangelicals, an affiliation comprised of millions of Christians with various denominational labels, united around Christ.
The church has also purchased two homes, 40 Walnut Street and 3 Maple Street. The house at 40 Walnut has been remodeled to the Bluefields Café, primarily used for college ministry. The house at 3 Maple is the Big House, dedicated to youth ministry.
Even though our church has been blessed with good facilities for ministry, Main Street Baptist Church is not a building. It is a body of people working together for the glory of Jesus Christ.